There is always so much work to do during a medical mission. Preparing for clinic is the first responsibility for the team. That’s why it is always special when a team member can sneak away and do something a little different.
Spending some time in the kitchen in Limón is always a treat. On her most recent trip, Myra A. made a delicious treat for her team – Flan!
While you missed a great dessert, Myra generously shared her recipe so you can try it yourself.
Super Easy Cream Cheese Flan
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat sugar and water together in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves into a light brown caramel, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour into a round glass baking dish.
- Place condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs, cream cheese, and vanilla extract in a blender; blend into a smooth custard. Pour over caramelized sugar in the baking dish.
- Place baking dish in a deep baking pan. Pour in enough water to reach halfway up the baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until custard is set and top is light brown, about 1 hour.
- Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until cold, 3 to 4 hours.
- Cut around edges to release flan. Put a flat rimmed platter on top and flip to release this decadent dessert!
Flipping the flan over to make a beautiful presentation may be the hardest part. Click here to take a look at how Myra and her son Adam did it!